Shopify | Senior Web Developer
Nov 2020 - Mar 2023
- Championed the successful release of interactive codeblocks and enabled live rendering of Shopify liquid templating language. This improved satisfaction by >=25%.
- Delivered new Vite-powered Shopify app template (React, Node), improving adoption of best practices for Shopify developers and over 500 new GitHub stars for the repository in 2 months.
- Shipped an integration with a major postal carrier for all Canadian merchants with over 80% adoption rate.
- Co-authored and implemented a new design system for Shopify.dev to support dark mode + multi-theming to WCAG accessibility standards.
- Contributed to the industry leading redesign of Shopify’s REST & GraphQL API documentation.
- Communicated with cross-functional teams to ensure seamless integration of web application components.
- Mentored early-career developers to improve skills and knowledge of best practices.
- Conducted interviews for early career developers and improved the interview and evaluation process; led to successful hires of high potential candidates.
Paddle HR (acq. LinkedIn) | Senior UX + Fullstack Developer
May 2019 - Oct 2020
- Designed and led the implementation of robust & extensible JAMstack architecture and design system for Paddle’s main product offering. Championed careful consideration of functionality that’s easy to define, structure, and fix with tests.
- Led the adoption of GraphQL to easily build useful UIs on top of our 440MM+ pt dataset on career history and skills trajectories and derive useful insights for 30K+ enterprise users.
- Introduced thorough automated testing practices and code consistency for our Python codebases, resulting in faster and more reliable delivery.
- Supervised a Junior Developer and mentored them through daily processes and ad hoc projects helping them become a contributing member of the team.
- Facilitated team retrospectives & pruned meetings leading to immediate and continuous improvement in our process and effectiveness of experiments.
- Reviewed several applicants and conducted personal and technical interviews. Received positive feedback from all applicants for the interview process and mentorship provided.
Nulogy | Fullstack Developer
Aug 2016 - Aug 2018
- Co-invented and implemented storybook driven development - a methodology for rapidly prototyping/developing visual components - with senior team members.
- Built a data-intensive dashboard serving millions of rows of data with PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails, React, and Redux to help planners derive insights from historical data.
- Developed consistent component / container pattern for data deserialization and visualizations and shared language with the design team, work that led to the full-fledged design system.
Rangle.io | Junior Developer
Oct 2015 - Apr 2016
- Co-led tooling & maintenance of OSS starter projects, making new projects start up 2-5x faster & enabling the aggressive staffing model Rangle uses.
- Consolidated 2 internal products using Koa and React + Redux, managing large datasets from multiple scheduling APIs to set up future employee and company success.
䷢ Open Source
I got my start in open source, so I’m quick to jump in and help wherever I can:
PrismJS, Maintainer, 2021 - Present
~7.7MM weekly downloads
I work with a small global team to review new features, fixes, infrastructure and language definition improvements.
IstanbulJS, Collaborator, 2018 - 2020
~10MM weekly downloads
Core team member of code-coverage tooling focusing on documentation, issue triaging, and community support.
Redux Utilities, flux-standard-action, Collaborator, 2017 - 2019
500K+ monthly downloads
Became a core maintainer after reaching out to the original author on the React core team and taking care of repository issues. Contributed architectural decisions and insights to the larger Redux Utilities org.
stylelint-plugin-webpack, Maintainer, 2016 - 2018
~300K weekly downloads
Took over core maintenance to fix a bug for my own use. Tackled community reported bugs and eventually handed off ownership to the webpack-contrib org.
other published npm packages & contributions
Sharing smaller modules as utilities or publishing useful forks with important fixes.
Approx. 3 years of internships between 2011-2015:
Bachelor of Knowledge Integration, Honours, inc. | 2016 - 2019
Collaborative Design Specialization
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
Bachelor of Applied Science, Systems Design Engineering, inc. | 2010 - 2014
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON